Indigestion (Dyspepsia; Non-ulcer Dyspepsia; Non-ulcer Stomach Pain)
What is indigestion?
Stomach upset – discomfort in the upper abdomen or chest. Often accompanied by nausea upset stomach, otrыzhkoy or vzdutiem life.
Causes of indigestion
The exact cause of this disorder is unknown. Most often, this condition is associated with the influence of harmful lifestyle factors. These factors can lead to poor digestion.
Risk Factors indigestion
Lifestyle factors, which increase the likelihood of indigestion:
- Too rapid or irregular intervals food intake;
- Eating fatty, high fat, or spicy food;
- Excessive intake of caffeine, alcohol, or non-alcoholic beverages;
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Taki how ibuprofen or naproxen;
- Psychological stress.
Indigestion is characterized by a variety of symptoms, including might occur:
- Pain or burning sensation in the upper abdomen or chest;
- Abdominal distention;
- Belching or regurgitation.
Stomach upset – when you need to see a doctor?
Many people have an upset stomach occurs from time to time. If the episodes worsen or occur more often, you must make an appointment to see a doctor. The main symptoms, in which you need to visit a doctor in case of indigestion:
- Having trouble swallowing;
- Frequent vomiting;
- Weight loss;
- Family history of cancer;
Stomach upset – when you need to immediately seek medical help?
It is necessary to seek medical attention or call an ambulance, if there is:
- Severe abdominal pain;
- Blood in the stool or dark black stools;
- Blood in the vomit;
- Labored breathing;
- Chest pain.
The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical examination. Most often diagnosed on the basis of the above symptoms.
For a more accurate diagnosis can be assigned to a blood test. It is also used to survey other tests, which may include:
- Barium enema;
It can also be investigated in gastric emptying rate, that is the time, for which food leaves the stomach and moves further.
Indigestion Treatment – Dyspepsia treatment
Your doctor will suggest a way to treat indigestion, based on the severity of the symptoms. Treatment options may include the following:
Diet and lifestyle changes
For the treatment of disorders of the stomach doctor may advise:
- Reduce consumption of fatty and spicy foods;
- Eat small meals throughout the day, instead of three large meals;
- Reduce alcohol consumption, caffeine and carbonated drinks;
- Give up smoking;
- Avoid taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), Taki how ibuprofen and naproxen;
- If the cause of indigestion is stress, you need to find ways to cope with stress;
- It is necessary to lose weight, If there are overweight;
- It is necessary to exercise regularly .
Medicines for indigestion
Medicines, your doctor may recommend, They include:
- Antacids – to neutralize excess acid, produced in the stomach;
- Drugs to suppress acid production;
- Prokinetic agents – To quickly remove the contents of the stomach;
- Antibiotics – to treat a bacterial infection, If tests confirm its presence.
Prevention of dyspepsia
To prevent stomach upset:
- Avoid overeating;
- Eat slowly and regularly;
- Avoid fatty foods, or foods high in fat;
- Limit your intake of spicy food;
- Quit smoking;
- Consume coffee, Alcohol and caffeinated beverages in moderation;
- Maintain a healthy weight;
- Exercise regularly.